I will be discussing my own experiences of death and presenting information in regard to undertaking your own funeral arrangements and care for the deceased.I will draw this information from reading material and my own inquiry which is particularly relevent to Perth Western Australia.

Monday

INTENT

As expressed in my profile most of my immediate family is deceased. I have one brother still living who I have very little contact with and a half sister who I have never met(different sort of grief attached to this one) I thought that I would briefly outline my experiences of each of these family deaths as each one was so very different and hence my reactions were very different. From each of these experiences though I have gleaned a variety of perspectives of death and dying.They have also moulded who I am today and led me to this place where I want to create a space where information can be shared and peoples access to this information at a time of grief can be made easier.
- I will be reviewing books on the subject of home death, death doulas, and do-it-yourself funerals.
-I will be creating links to the relevant Legislation and paperwork involved in undertaking your own funeral, specific to Western Australia.
-Presenting information related to the Natural Death Movement which has been around for years in England and the United States but of which Australia is yet to embrace. I know it is happening at the grassroots and that there are people in Australia creating organisations , lobbying for natural burial sites,tending to their deceased loved ones at home and performing their own funerals.
-I would also like to hear from anyone who has anything to share on the topic so that we can create an information network.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicolette,
This is a beautiful start to sharing your experiences of love, death and grief, with others in the community and guiding them through a journey we all encounter. Birth, like death, belongs in the community. It helps people to know there are others who not only understand but who can help them make good choices at a time when most are at a loss.